Fancy footwork is the ticket to success in this event.
What you’ll need
- Plastic or paper cups
- Tack or small nail
- Thick rubberband
- Big bag of popcorn
- Shallow boxes
How to play
- Before the game, find a pair of plastic or paper cups for each team. Then use a tack or a small nail to poke a hole in the center of each cup bottom.
- Push one end of a thick rubber band through the hole and into the cup. Slip a paper clip on the end of the band inside the cup, and gently pull the other end until the clip rests on the bottom of the cup. (The rubber band, worn around the ball of the foot, holds the cup in place atop a player’s shoe).
- Set two large, shallow boxes 5 yards beyond the starting line, opposite the teams.
- Divide participants into teams. Designate one member of each team to be the person who fills up the cups with popcorn. These individuals will stand alongside their teams, behind the starting line.
Instruct the first person in each team’s line to slip the popcorn-filled cups over their shoes. At the whistle blow, they must sprint to the appropriate box and empty their cups into it, trying to lose as little popcorn as possible along the way.
Racers run back to tag the next teammate in line and that person must then run to the team box with newly-filled shoe cups.
- The relay continues for 2 minutes or until one of the bags is emptied. The popcorn in each box is then measured with a ruler (or by cupfuls). The team with the most is declared the winner.
Courtesy of FamilyFun Magazine